Replacing the floor in your home can get quite expensive! For this reason you want to make sure that you’re making the right choice. While vinyl flooring is aesthetically pleasing, and practical for most applications, is it a good choice? For instance, is vinyl flooring waterproof? This can be a huge factor, especially if you plan on installing it in your bathrooms and kitchen.
All types of vinyl flooring are waterproof and water-resistant, so it’s widely used in rooms where the floor can get wet, like the kitchen and bathroom. However, the installation process can affect the water-resistance features of the flooring.
Is Vinyl Flooring Waterproof
Vinyl flooring is made of multiple layers of several materials that are stacked on top of each other to create a durable and practical flooring material. There are two different types of vinyl flooring materials; Luxury Vinyl Tiles or Planks, also as LVT or LVP, and vinyl rolls, and both of them are moisture-resistant.
However, these two types are not equally waterproof, and the installation process can affect how much your flooring will be able to resist water without being damaged. For example, LVT is made of waterproof tiles, which means that seams need to be adequately isolated to guarantee the flooring will be waterproof, and the same applies to LVP. Rolls, on the other hand, don’t have any seams, so they’re more waterproof.
Proper installation is crucial because the seams need to be perfectly sealed, or the water will seep through and damage the back of the vinyl flooring. Moreover, you need to pay special attention to the core materials.
Rigid-core vinyl flooring is made of stone plastic composite and is one of the most water-resistant options. It’s considered to be waterproof because spills won’t cause the planks, tiles, or rolls to swell. WPC vinyl flooring is another waterproof option and is made of wood-plastic composite.
What Are the Different Types of Vinyl Flooring
Luxury Vinyl Tiles and Luxury Vinyl Planks or LVT and LVP are more expensive because they resemble natural and more expensive flooring options like ceramic tiles and elegant hardwood planks. LVT and LVP come in different shapes, patterns, and sizes to resemble tiles or planks and to be installed in various rooms of the house.
These tiles or planks are quite easy to install, so they’re suitable for quick renovation projects because installing the floor of one room doesn’t take much time. Moreover, you can still install LVT or LVP without removing the furniture from the room.
Vinyl roll is a fiberglass cushioned flooring that comes in rolled and flexible sheets. The sheets are available in various styles and designs to suit different décor options. These rolls are affordable and have low VOC emissions, so they promote a healthy indoor environment if you have pets and kids in the house.
Is Vinyl Flooring Durable
Vinyl flooring is highly durable, but there are several factors that affect its durability. These include the quality of the material itself, how it’s made, and how it’s installed.
Although LVT, LVP, and rolls are made of PVC, there are different grades of materials used to make vinyl flooring. Some vinyl flooring materials have a protective layer that adds more durability and resistance. High-quality materials won’t swell when exposed to water or heat and won’t change color over time. Moreover, they can handle heavy foot traffic.
Vinyl flooring can last between 5 and 25 years, depending on the type of material and the quality of the installation process. It’s crucial to hire a professional to install your vinyl flooring to guarantee that it will last for long.
What Are the Advantages of Vinyl Flooring
Vinyl flooring is one of the most popular flooring options because it has a lot of advantages.
- It’s 100% water-resistant and can be waterproof when appropriately installed. This is why it’s the perfect flooring material for basements, kitchens, and bathrooms, so it won’t get affected by water. At the same time, it’s a good choice if you have pets and kids in the house.
- Vinyl flooring is highly durable and can withstand heavy traffic. So, it’s a good choice for busy households, offices, cafes, and restaurants.
- There are different patterns, shapes, and colors available, so it’s one of the most versatile flooring materials that you can use in the house.
- It’s easy to clean and maintain. Regular sweeping and mopping are enough to remove debris.
- Vinyl flooring can be installed on any subfloor, even if it’s not perfect or even.
- Compared to other types of flooring, vinyl is quite affordable and is good value for money because it lasts for long.
What Are the Disadvantages of Vinyl Flooring
Despite all its advantages, vinyl flooring has some disadvantages that you need to be aware of.
- The removal process of the vinyl flooring is difficult.
- Vinyl flooring can be easily punctured by sharp objects. So, a sliding metal leg chair or a knife can damage your floor.
- Without a proper core, vinyl flooring can show denting if you add heavy objects on top.
- The topcoat of the vinyl flooring is not UV-resistant and can show signs of discoloration if installed in a brightly sunlit room.
- Vinyl planks aren’t recyclable and aren’t suitable for customers who are trying to reduce their carbon footprint.
What is the Best Way to Clean and Maintain Vinyl Flooring
Vinyl flooring is a good option for busy households because it’s easy to clean and maintain. The protective coat can be easily cleaned using a broom or a mop. Moreover, it’s resistant to scratches and stains and can be easily wiped.
For thorough cleaning, you need to remove the furniture from the room and use your vacuum cleaner with the hose attachment to reach all the corners. You can use baking soda and distilled water to remove the stubborn stains, as harsh chemicals can damage the protective layer of your flooring.
Vinyl flooring is considered to be water-resistant and waterproof when you choose the right materials and installation technique. It’s one of the most versatile flooring options because it’s durable and affordable. It can also last for long and can be easily cleaned and maintained.