Garage door keypads are great as a backup in case you forget your garage door opener or want to give access to a friend or family member. However, with the increase in cyber crimes and hackers, are garage door keypads safe?
Unfortunately most garage door openers are not as safe as you might think! Older models that use a “fixed code” are much easier for criminals to get around. Although some newer models use a rolling code (which makes them harder get around), they are still susceptible to being hacked. Smart garage door openers run the risk of being hacked, especially if you have a weak network that doesn’t have proper security features in place.
However, with that being said, the chances of someone trying to hack your garage door opener are probably slim to none! In fact (in my opinion), the pros of installing a garage door opener far out way the cons.
Are Garage Door Keypads Safe
Garage door keypads do what they’re supposed to do; they restrict access to your property and valuables to only the people who have the code. They replace the keys and can become useful when you don’t want to change the locks, or when multiple people are coming into your house.
The new models of garage door keypads are extremely practical and useful because they come with a battery backup, so they won’t stop working. These models will also be protected against power surges. Some advanced models are only accessible using your fingerprint, and they’re even safer because you’re the only one who can open the door.
Unlike keys that you might lose or misplace, keypads are safer and more practical. Since there are several models available, you need to ask your provider for the latest models and their benefits.
How do Garage Door Keypads Work
This is a keypad fixed outside the garage door. The keypad has several code combinations, and when you press the numbers, the door opens.
A garage door keypad can be easily programmed and reprogrammed when you forget the code or want to change it for more safety. It only takes a few minutes, and the keypad will be properly locked. When you want to open the garage door, enter the PIN code and press the Up or Down button and the door will open quickly.
It’s very important to keep your PIN code safe or to change it often if you share it with other people, like a cleaning staff or workers doing some home renovation work. It’s also crucial to choose a rather difficult PIN code, so intruders can’t guess it easily.
Why Should You Buy a Garage Door Keypad
On average, a burglary happens every 30 seconds, so this means that it’s your job as a homeowner to find the best way to protect your home and family. Here are some reasons why you should consider installing a garage door keypad.
- A keypad is easier to use by school-age children and elderly people with dexterity problems.
- If you always lose your keys, you can still get into the house when you press the right code.
- A modern garage door keypad can be linked to the door alert system to add more protection to your household.
- You can connect your garage door keypad with sensors that turn on the light in your garage when you open the door.
- You can lose a garage door opener, misplace it, or even run it over with your car, but a keypad is permanently installed to allow easy and fast access to your house.
- You can pick a keypad with rolling code technology which generates a new code every time an opener is activated.
Safety Tips For Garage Door Keypads
A keypad is not a security system, but it can replace the keys. You can use a garage door keypad if you live in a busy household and your kids always forget their keys. When you’re renovating the house, this tool will come in handy, and you can easily change the code instead of replacing the locks. Here are some safety tips to help you keep your house safe.
- Choose a rather challenging combination that means something to you. Avoid using easy codes like 0000 and 1234 because intruders can guess them easily.
- Share the code with the people you trust. Remember that the code is the only way to access your house and all your valuables when the doors are locked. This is why you need to keep it safe and share it only with family members and close friends.
- Avoid writing the code on a piece of paper if you want to share it with a guest. It might fall into the wrong hands, and someone can enter your house when you’re away. If you want to tell someone about the code, send them a message or call them.
- Make sure that you change the code frequently. This is crucial, especially if there are a lot of people who have access to your house.
- Change the code after getting back from vacation if you have someone taking care of your pets or plants. You should also do this after finishing a big renovation project in the house.
- If you feel that your code has been compromised, change it immediately. Your kids might accidentally share their code with a delivery person or their friends. It’s important to make sure that the code is safe and your house is inaccessible.
- Clean the keypad with a degreaser to remove the oils and other debris. Remember that the keypad isn’t covered, and the grease can make the numbers difficult to see, so you might not be able to access the house when you need to.
Garage door keypads are safer than garage openers and keys that you might accidentally misplace or lose. You can set the code and share it only with the right people, so they can get into the house whenever they need to. You can also connect the garage door keypad to sensors that switch on the light or activate the security system.
Although a garage door keypad is safe, you should choose a challenging combination and only share it with the right people. Change the code often and keep it safe.